Ideas and Tips for Recycling
There are so many ways to make your business better for the environment. These ideas and links will help you learn more and get started:
1) Start a Recycling Program
- Designate a coordinator to oversee the entire recycling operation and serve as a key resource for everyone in your business.
- Conduct a waste audit so you can see just how much you’re wasting and what type of impact you can have through recycling. It also helps you determine what types of recyclers to work with.
- Get buy-in from the owners/managers in your company to get this program off the ground and keep it running successfully. Your audit results will help you promote and garner support for your recycling program.
- Practice prevention before you focus on recycling. See if there are ways you can reduce waste first, as waste prevention saves money.
2) Use Responsible Paper
- Learn about the benefits of buying paper products that are FSC and SFI certified. Visit the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) at www.fscus.org and the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) at www.sfiprogram.org.
- The American Forest & Paper Association is another excellent resource. Take the Paper Recycling IQ test, access many “how-to” guides, DVDs, brochures, and more related to workplace recycling, school recycling and community recycling: www.paperrecycles.org.
3) Practice Sustainable Communication
- What does this entail? Find out at the Institute for Sustainable Communication, a nonprofit organization whose mission is “to raise awareness, build capacity and foster the widespread adoption of economically viable, environmentally restorative and socially constructive uses of print and digital media.” Find articles, videos, events, whitepapers and much more that help you argue the point: print, digital or both? www.sustainablecommunication.org.
4) Partner with Western States