- Are the labels imprinted? If so, how will they be imprinted?
- Do the labels need to be permanent, removable or repositionable?
- What is the expected life span of the labels after application? Less than one year? One to three years? More than three years? Is the expected lifespan inside or outside?
- What surface will the label be applied to? Paper, metal, glass, wood, painted surfaces, corrugated box, plastic or shrink-wrap?
- What is the shape and texture of the application surface? Smooth, rough, cylindrical, flat, curved, flexible or pebbled? What condition is the surface? Wet, dirty, dusty, or oily?
- At what temperature will the labels be applied? Moderate temperature (40° to 80°), a freezer (less than 32°)? During the lifetime of the labels, what temperatures will they be exposed to? What is the temperature of the product at the time of application? Estimate the minimum and maximum temperatures.
- What harsh environments will the labels be exposed to? Will they be placed in ovens, freezers, or microwaves? Exposed to direct sunlight, chemical baths, abrasives, petroleum products or chemical solvents?